Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Lessons Learned and Rambling

I was supposed to start eating healthier yesterday and I did start my day a bit healthy but more towards the evening I didn't take lunch with me to school and I ended up giving into cravings and ate some junk food. I learned a few lessons yesterday. First, it is always handy to have a healthy snack on hand just in case I need it. I also learned that I can't tell myself that I am going to eat better I just have to do it. I think in a way I sabotage myself because I know what I have to do to get on the path to weight loss but I don't always listen to the part of me that is telling me not to buy the ice cream or the chocolate.

Yesterday I ate chocolate for the first time in months. It wasn't that I had consciously made a decision not to eat chocolate it just wasn't tempting me. However, the minute I decided I wanted to make the change to eat healthier I got cravings for chocolate (well junk food). The last thing I need is temptation because I am not one to say no to myself.

 I also realised that I drink way too much sugary drinks. I have to make a conscious effort to choose water over sugary drinks. I can easily cut calories by only drinking water.  I think that small changes add up quickly and in the end it doesn't feel like I am giving up something that I really like. Additionally, I know for sure that I can't follow fad diets and have restrictions on my eating because that will not stick. I rather make small life long changes that I can keep for the rest of my life. For example, I am trying to use less mayo. I now make my sandwiches without using mayo. I could buy light mayo but I feel that light and diet variations of products are just as bad if not worse then regular. Instead of mayo I just use a dash of hot sauce to give my sandwiches a kick.

I am not going to make promises about what I will do in terms of eating. But I will keep track of everything I am eating between Thursday and Sunday then Monday I will see what changes I can make for next week to help me get my healthy eating habits on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment